Saturday, January 31, 2009

Neither Wind Nor Biting Cold ...

... can keep a photographer from seeking the perfect shot.

To record the last day of January, I ventured out on a bitterly cold and windy day.

I've always enjoyed this red barn on a blue-sky day. Today, the pigeons added a spark of surprise. This is the Conbeer Farm on Hickory Hill Road outside of Johnstown, NY.







The snow and wind created their own sculpture along a back country road. The hardest part of taking this shot was protecting the camera's lense from the headwind and blowing snow.

As the wind swept across an open field, it created a fog-like-snow-blow to mask this red barn and the standing corn stalks. I admit it! I cheated. This one is taken from inside the car. I had to time the sweep of the windshield wipers that were clearing the blowing snow!

Fear not! The bear has not made its first appearance of the new year -- yet! These scratches are from the fall. I liked how the snow framed them on this telephone poll today. This pole is just around the corner from our cabin in the woods.






Pulling into the driveway, I was reminded that winter is far from over, and we already have too much snow. In winters past, we have been able to walk directly onto the roof. I wonder if this will be one of those years.



Finally, the afternoon sun illuminated some new icicles on the roof. If you look closely, they tell their own story of creation.

Tomorrow starts a new month. Every day we're one day closer to spring's arrival. (Do you see me dancing in the cabin?)

1 comment:

Judy Olson said...

Great shots all! I especially like the barn with pigeons.