Friday, January 9, 2009

Between Snowstorms

Morning light was too great a temptation. Work could wait -- the light would not!

I headed out in search of a sight I had seen yesterday during white-out conditions. Mother Nature had painted thin white stripes of snow on the west side of standing trees. It was difficult to photograph these trees today, however, as there was too much snow on the side of the road to pull over safely to capture the beauty. I found these skunk-striped trees on a side road. Not as many as the stand I had seen yesterday, but still quite stunning.

One of my favorite small waterfalls is along Mill Lane. This country, windy road runs between Oppenheim in Fulton County and St. Johnsville in Montgomery County in upstate New York. This waterfall sits on private land. Oh, to own this home and hear the water tumbling at night. To dream ...

I guess someone forgot to tell this critter that the trail was closed. I laughed when I saw the footprints and the sign. At first, I thought they might be human prints, but they thin out further down the trail, so I'm not sure.






And home again. Cabin Sweet Cabin.

Tomorrow's forecast? Snow, of course.

4 comments:

Judy Olson said...

Are the skunk stripes made by snowplow throw? The trail closed sign and tracks are funny!

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

No, it was from the actual snowstorm. I think there was snow melt that froze on the west side of the tree trunks. When it started to snow, it stuck just to the vertical ice. The stand of red pines I had seen yesterday was probably close to 100 trees. From a distance, it looked like white soldiers.

Judy Olson said...

How unusual! Too bad there was no place to park, don't you hate that?!

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

I need to hire a driver!