Thursday, January 22, 2009

Crossroads of Old and New

On my way back up the mountain today, I passed through Amish country. The entire community had gathered for an event. It may have been an Amish wedding, as these often occur on Thursdays.

I like this first photo. It shows the comparison between old and new. Here, a buggy had pulled over to allow a snowplow to pass. It reminded me of the crossroads we face in life. What direction do we go? Which path do we follow? What values do we form?

Although this picture doesn't tell the whole story, there were over 100 buggies parked near this Amish home and barn. These buggies, with tops, are for married couples. On the other side of the barn were topless buggies, for the single men in the group. I passed one topless buggy sporting an umbrella, trying to shield the driver from some snow and wind. Note the window dressings in the background. Here, in upstate New York, the slanted curtains are one of the Amish signs. This house rose quickly this past fall. They will probably side it in the spring.

Out of respect, I did not take any photos of the Amish directly. They do not embrace photography of the face, as it conflicts with their belief of the graven image.

Finally, I passed a weathered, red barn. I know it's not what you're hoping to capture, Judy, but it reminded me of you. On a blue-sky winter day following a fresh snow, we must wind ourselves through the back roads of the Mohawk Valley. I'm sure we'll find your red barn!

Tomorrow, I depart again for Hershey. This is a quick trip down and back. I'll bring back a memory or two to share. Promise.

4 comments:

Judy Olson said...

For the red barn I was thinking red barn, white snow and blue sky. Travel safely!!

Judy Olson said...

I went to the school talent show last night so didn't have time to comment on your photos...The snowplow framed with the buggy is so amazing, the plowtruck is SO big, but giving way to the tiny, really fragile looking buggy. A great contrast study! The line of Amish buggies really underlines the simplicity of these people. I think people tend to romanticize these buggies but really they are as plain as you could possibly make them.

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

I was thinking the same thing. We just need the blue sky! Ha. Good luck.

I saw something else that was neat in the same area -- a holiday display on a long porch with about 12 old fashion wooden sleds. The sleds were in pairs leaning against the porch posts. Each had a ribbon. Interested?

Judy Olson said...

Wow, that was SO close to being the exact same time! no, not really interested in the sleds, sorry!