Monday, January 19, 2009

Five Bald Eagles!

Call me crazy, but ... I escaped the cabin this afternoon during a heat wave of 24 F. I was in search of some winter meditative shots. My goal was to capture something on my camera other than the birds at the feeder.

What did I find? Five bald eagles. I didn't have the right equipment or good light, so this is the best I got to preserve the moment. The eagles took residence along the Sacandaga River, just off of River Road, in the Town of Hope. It was breathtaking to see. Anyone else intrigued by the sighting of the symbol of America in a town called Hope on the eve of the president's inauguration?

Before I found the eagles (or they found me), I took a few other shots.

I always like to find tracks in the snow, especially when they're near signage. I guess these deer knew they were in a safe place. I like the two different trees growing along side each other.





I don't think this Adirondacker will be renting too many canoes or cabins this month. The snow is up to the windows and the lake is feet thick in ice! Maybe in June?

I liked this weathervane and ice fisherman. Notice that the sun placed a small strip of light on the lake, yet in the background above the mountains, storm clouds are approaching. Life in the mountains! If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.





Finally, a little color in a very white world. Sometimes, any color will do when spring seems so far away.

The weatherman is predicting temps near 30 later this week. Yippee! It's time to get a suntan.

2 comments:

Judy Olson said...

Nice shots all! Well done.

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

Thank you. Here's a gentle nudge to go out there once more and explore.

You might be surprised!