Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chasing the Light

To celebrate the completion of my latest manuscript, a 5,000-word book for grades 3 and 4 on living green, I grabbed my camera in search of some fresh winter shots.

I ended up chasing the light.

As my afternoon sun shared its last rays, colors illuminated the sky. The search was on for the perfect shot -- not an easy task with power lines, cable lines, phone lines, and general distraction. This was the best I could do before the sky's batteries ran out. The shot is taken just north of Gloversville, New York.

Getting there was no easy task. First, I stopped for a family of turkeys. What do you call a flocking of turkey feathers? An escaped gaggle of Thanksgiving Day blessings? The correct question is: What is a rafter? Thank you, Alex Trebek.

Next, I stopped for a parade of deer. WikiAnswers says the correct response is a herd or a mob. I kind of like the mob idea. Imagine calling your car insurance agent. "The mob got me."

Finally, I made it to a deserted back country road. Just me and the camera.

Before the sky shot, I caught last rays on the Sacandaga River just north of Wells. Had I had a friend with me, I would have ventured back to Auger Falls for some winter ice shots. I don't trust myself enough to stay out of trouble back there by myself. It's one of my favorite waterfalls.



But what does a waterfall enthusiast do when one of her favorite falls is now posted No Trespassing? What a shocker. A collection of water cascades near Hope, New York, has always captured my fancy. Today it was posted. This ice formation is just at the bottom of the tumbles. I may have to track down the owner and ask for permission to trek up the falls this spring. It can't hurt to ask.

As I drove around today, I listened to the original Broadway cast's recording of The Phantom of the Opera. (My daughter's an avid musical theater fan. She had left one of her Christmas CDs in the car.) These words continue to echo through my head:

Let your mind
start a journey through a
strange new world!
Leave all thoughts
of the world
you knew before!
Let your soul
Take you where you
long to be ... !

What's in store for tomorrow? A little renewable energy. In the spirit of living green, I am pampering myself at a Native American spa. I will partake of the sweat lodge, the healing waters, and some medicinal herbs, leaves, and flowers. In other words, I'm going to be a major veg. I figure I deserve it.

Hope your soul takes you somewhere you've never been before.

1 comment:

Judy Olson said...

Wow! The sunset and waterfall ice are fantastic. Have fun at the spa, may it refresh and recharge you!