Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Visitor on New Year's Eve

We were surprised by a visitor this afternoon at the cabin!

A pileated woodpecker graced us with his presence. Male pileated woodpeckers are about 18-19 inches long and have a wingspan of about 30 inches. He is the largest woodpecker in most of North America - the ivory-billed woodpecker can be larger. (The ivory-billed woodpecker is rebounding from a close extinction.)

His song is breath-taking. You can hear a recording of one here. With his songs and the tap-tap-taps as he looked for insects within our sugar maple trees, he was his own orchestra!

This picture is not the best. Sorry! I had to take it through glass windows with a camera not really equipped for this kind of work. When I quietly went out onto the porch for a better shot, he ventured off to other trees deeper in our woods. I hope he returns!

Now, if I could only get the donut-hogging squirrels to skadaddle!

2 comments:

Judy Olson said...

We haven't heard or seen one around here in a few years. You are lucky!

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

Now, if I only had a better camera to capture him! I hope he returns.