Saturday, December 20, 2008

Green Ice

I went searching for photo shots between winter storms today. In the spirit of Christmas, I found green ice. Really!

This shot was taken on a small tributary to East Canada Creek near Stratford in western Fulton County. The water was moving quickly here, so the ice was actually forming on the rounded river rocks at the bottom of the creek. With the green tint of algae in the water, the ice was forming with a green hue.

Just down river, the water was slower and calmer. There were no green ice boulders under the water. But then again, a few hundred yards further, the water picked up speed and green ice formed once more.

I don't remember seeing this before. Now, if a beautiful red cardinal had just flown into the shot as I was preparing to take the photo ...

All I want for Christmas is the perfect shot,
the perfect shot,
oh, the perfect shot ...
all I want for Christmas is the perfect shot,
so I can enter it in a contest!

Fa la la la la la la la rah!

3 comments:

Judy Olson said...

I love green ice! Maybe I can find an old one quickly for shot & a beer

Sherry Dale Rogers said...

Wow never saw that before, but it looks cool, the pics you take are really beautiful. Now your song is stuck in my head, he he. Happy Holidays.

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

Thank you, Dale. I can't imagine you'd see too much green ice -- or any ice -- in the deep south.

Are you one of my former or current students?