Saturday, November 1, 2008

Looking for Lynx

The neighborhood is abuzz with the possibility of a rarely sighted lynx. The lynx is a wild cat with tufted ears, long whiskers, a short tail, and wide, padded paws that serve as snow shoes in the winter. Lynx can grow to a length of four feet and weigh almost 50 pounds. It is illegal to hunt these animals, as they are currently listed as threatened. As I trek the trails around my cabin, I will now be on alert for this beautiful animal. I hope I have my camera with me to capture its presence here in the mountains.

On the topic of pictures and cameras, I was delighted to learn today that one of my entries in FMCC's Works on Paper was selected for the upcoming art exhibit. Mistical Morning Meditation will be on display starting December 5 at Fulton-Montgomery Community College in Johnstown, New York. This is quite an honor for someone who plays with her camera. Maybe it will be the nudge I need to get serious about this art form and my study of it.

For now, I need to get serious about my writing. I will be hand-carrying the picture book for Milton Hershey School's centennial celebration to Hershey with me one week from today. Tick, tick ... the clock moves on.

2 comments:

Judy Olson said...

Aren't blogs fun? I have a craft show the day following the reception, so I won't be staying out too late that night.

Good luck on seeing the lynx AND having your camera with you when you do!

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

There's always a catch, isn't there? I can't just see the critter, I have to capture it on film for anyone to believe me! And I thought December 24th was a tough one! Ha!