Saturday, November 22, 2008

Frosted

In chilly 10 degree temps with a biting wind to boost, I headed up to the lakes this morning to take some pictures.

This photo is of West Caroga Lake in the southern Adirondacks. I arrived in time to see the wind whip across the open water to create waves of ice flows heading toward the shore. As the ice reached the water's edge, it froze in solid waves. Some of the spray settled on the rocks in the foreground. In the background is mist as it rose. It's unusual to capture a photo will all the phases of water -- solid, liquid, and gas.

From Caroga I headed to Pine Lake, my summer swimming hole. There, nature played artist along the beach as she created crystals and ice blossoms.

I'll be spending my afternoon in warmer quarters -- in front of a fire working on my novel for Milton Hershey School. Last night I did research on baseball cards, the Panama Canal, the 1970s energy crisis, and more. I wonder where my thoughts will take me and the novel today.

1 comment:

Judy Olson said...

That wind was chilly yesterday! I bet it was fun being out in it, the ice crystals are beautiful. I'll be taking my camera out later this morning, but not going over to the beaver dam, see you soon!