Saturday, February 28, 2009

Free-ly Flowing

After a substantial amount of rain yesterday and plummeting temperatures (and the definite return of winter to the mountains), I escaped for an afternoon's adventure with photo-friend Judy Olson.

I call this first photo Free-ly Flowing. In the small town of Hadley, the Hudson River begins to flow freely with the springtime thaw. The American flag reminds us that the river is not the only thing that is free. Notice the graffiti in the lower left. Someone felt free to express himself or herself.




The second photo is also on the Hudson River, just south of the tumbling waters of the previous photo. I call this one Fractured Footprints. Here, sheets of ice are starting to break apart, while animals risk trekking upon them to reach open water.



Finally, just upriver of where the Sacandaga River flows into the Hudson is the Bow Bridge. The parabolic bridge was built in 1885, replacing an earlier 1813 bridge which burned. Here, the waters of the Sacandage dance and tumble. This shot is an aerial view of an eddy, where water flows upriver instead of down.

Judy posted a fantastic shot of the Bow Bridge on her blog. The part about the ale is true!

With more cold temperatures and even some snowfall in the forecast for this week, I'll be capturing more winter shots these next days. Stop again to see what nature paints and I am able to capture this week.

3 comments:

Judy Olson said...

I tried to get a shot of the falls with the flag but I would have had to step out into the road to get the whole thing in. Nice job! It'll be fun going up north next Friday.

Tangled Stitch said...

I love to see photos that you and Judy do together. It proves the randomness of life. That people in the same place at the same time see completely different things(both in a lovely way btw)

Carol Parenzan Smalley said...

Thanks, TS, for looking at my work!

Judy, I have a wide-angled lense on my camera. It makes it easier to get some of these shots.