Sunday, October 19, 2008

Homeward Bound

I just returned from a week on the road and time as an author in residence at Milton Hershey School in Hershey (PA), where I am penning two children's books for the school's upcoming centennial celebration in 2009-2010.

I had a wonderful time with the MHS middle students at Catherine Hall, where I shared a work in progress with them and answered great questions from students and staff.

It was good to plant my feet on Hershey soil, where I was born and raised, and the smell of chocolate reminded me of my roots. Sometimes it's good to be back home among family and friends, if only for a few days.

The Lebanon Daily News did a story on my visit. You can read it here:


Now, the pressure is on. I have three weeks to get a first draft of the picture book to the centennial committee for review. The middle-grade novel is close behind.

Thank you to the staff at MHS for making my visit a rewarding one. I look forward to returning next year to sign copies of the books for each student and faculty member.

And, for those middle-grade students who shared personal stories with me for the novel, I'm enjoying reading your words. Who knows? Maybe your story will make it on the pages of the book in 2009. You'll have to read the novel to fnd out.

See you for the big birthday bash in 2009!

Carol (back in the mountains where the temps dropped well below freezing last night and snow is in the forecast for this week! Brrr!)

No comments: